Matthew 5:14-16

"You are the light of the world. A city set on a hill cannot be hidden. Nor do people light a lamp and put it under a basket, but on a stand, and it gives light to all in the house. In the same way, let your light shine before others, so that they may see your good works and give glory to your Father who is in heaven." ~Matthew 5:14-16

Friday, January 14, 2011

Healthy Spiritual Exercise = Reading your Bible.

I've mulled it over, knowing that I need a healthy routine of reading Scripture. It is like exercising your muscles: The more you exercise, the stronger you'll be. Same thing with Scripture. The more His Word is read, the stronger you will become; the more readily you will have the answers when questioned about your faith.

Because I am such a bookworm, I couldn't help but notice when my Dad's Bible was left open on the living room table, a little neat stack of paper bookmarking the section he was in. I read the papers, realizing it was informatively telling me a neat way to read through my Bible, entirely, and more than once a year. I snuck it upstairs (why was I sneaking when I had the house to myself? O.o) and copied it for my own use. My Dad got the list from my bestfriend's Dad's site: Doulos lesou Christou.

I am committed to doing this. If this routine helps me with my daily reading and increasing my knowledge of Scripture, it has all been worth it! The only thing that can stop me is my own excuses - so I must be committed to persistence and determination! I must not quit! I encourage you to dig into your Bibles even if you have to push yourself to the task, even if its hard to find time. Eventually, this very healthy habit will develop, and your hunger will increase for the Scriptures. That is what I hope to obtain: An ever-deeping hunger for the Word of God.

It's called The 10 Lists: (as you rotate through the lists, you will notice you will not read the same sequences twice, it starts weaving. Also, you may find sticky notes labeled 1 through 10 to help you keep your places.)
List one: (89 days): Matthew, Mark, Luke, John.
List two: (187 days): Genesis, Exodus, Leviticus, Numbers, Deuteronomy.
List three: (78 days): Romans, 1&2 Corinthians, Galatians, Ephesians, Philippians, Colossians, Hebrews.
List four: (65 days): 1&2 Thessalonians,1&2 Timothy, Titus, Philemon, James, 1&2 Peter, 1,2&3 Johnn, Jude, Revelation.
List 5: (62 days): Job, Ecclesiastes, Song of Solomon.
List 6: (150 days): Psalms.
List 7: (31 days): Proverbs.
List 8: (249 days): Joshua, Judges, Ruth, 1&2 Samuel, 1&2 Kings, 1&2 Chronicles, Ezra, Nehemiah, Esther.
List 9: (250 days): Isaiah, Jeremiah, Lamentations, Ezekiel, Daniel, Hosea, Joel, Amos, Obadiah, Jonah, Micah, Nahum, Habakkuk, Zephaniah, Haggai, Zechariah, Malachi.
List 10 (28 days): Acts.

No comments:

Post a Comment